Saturday, June 9, 2007

School's Out!

School is officially over! We ended school on Friday by skating at the roller gardens in St. Louis Park and playing at Pamela Park near our school. I brought my rollerblades and skated with the kids. The kids were amazed that I could skate. I still find it funny when students think teachers seem odd and out of place when they aren't in the classroom (perhaps it is just me). I was the same way. I remember freaking out when I saw my second grade teacher in the grocery store.

While the students are out enjoying summer, the teachers return for two more days. Teachers must report on Monday and Tuesday of next week. However it is a pretty relaxed environment. We have to be to school some time on Monday to clean up our room and enter grades. Grades are due by 4:00 PM. I will be there before 11:00 AM because we have a staff pizza party to celebrate!

On Tuesday we have a staff breakfast put on by the PTO/PTA (Edina calls it PTO - they even have their own website linked on the district site). Apparently this breakfast is amazing. I am saving up for it already.

Monday and Tuesday I don't have much to do because the custodial staff already removed everything from my room on Friday! We returned from our field trip at 2:30 PM and my room was empty of all desks, tables, bookshelves, and chairs. I heard from teachers that they clean the 3rd floor first because it gets so hot in the summer.

The kids thought my empty room was awesome, so we played a quick game of wiffle ball before the bell rang at 2:40 PM. The kids were great and I am excited to see them next school year. I was lucky to have another great group of students. I even got some hugs on the way out the door.

After the kids left on Friday, I frantically labelled all of the items from my room that were now sitting in the hallway. I guess if you don't label it, it may not end up in your room. I am learning so much these past two days.

Everything ended up working out great and my room is completely clean and organized. I picked up and prepared my room for the summer after school on Friday. I also entered all my grades this weekend. So Monday and Tuesday I will just enjoy the food and check out. I should be out the door early and off to our yard to start landscaping!

No comments: