Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twilight


Well I have fallen under the Twilight spell that has captured the world of all teenage girls. Don't get me wrong there is a large group of non-teenage readers who have been consumed by the Twilight series as well.

I read the first book of Stephenie Meyer's bestseller series, Twilight, this summer. I have finished the next two books, New Moon and Eclipse, as well and will wrap up the last book, Breaking Dawn, this weekend.

Two of my colleagues and I have had multiple conversations this year about Stephenie Meyer's books. With the anticipation of the release of the Twilight movie, we pre-ordered tickets to see the new release Friday after school. So yesterday at 3:15 we left school to get our seats and treats and hopefully beat the crowds at the Southdale Movie theater.

Well we beat the crowd as most people went to the later shows Friday evening but we did not manage to escape the South View Middle School students. I had the pleasure of sitting right next to one of my current students throughout the entire movie. Talk about awkward! The entire row in front of me as well included 8th grade girls that I had taught just two years ago. Despite having students all around me, I was able to watch the movie. Yet I forget that teenagers enjoy interacting with the movie. There were cheers, clapping, gasps, and sighs throughout the entire movie. Lets not forget the teenage couples that enjoyed this opportunity to snuggle and make-out. I am glad I don't have to be a teenager again!

Okay, now to my perception of the movie. Just like all movies that have been created on the basis of a book - the book is WAY BETTER! I thought the Twilight movie was a cheesy teenage movie. The storyline stuck to the novel fairly well and didn't leave out any big items from the book. However some of the special effects were disappointing. For example, the sparkling diamond effect that Edward has in the sunlight is better when it is left to your imagination. About half of the characters looked completely different than I imagined as well. Jasper is comical looking and Carlisle just doesn't fit. So now as I finish Breaking Dawn I can only picture the characters as I saw them in the movie. There were some great scenes on the big screen that I enjoyed watching. The baseball game as well as the ballet studio were excellent scenes that I would love to see again. Overall not a terrible movie but definitely stick to the books.

3 comments:

Charlie Potts said...

NERD ALERT!!!!

Anonymous said...

Tell Charlie to step off! I wondered if you'd see the movie right away. I'm going to see it, too, but I'm pretty sure I'll be as let down as you were, Angie. I heard someone review the movie the morning after it opened. He hadn't read any of the books, so his focus was on comparing Twilight to some of the recent vampire movies and tv shows, which doesn't make much sense to me. Among other things, he said said the entire movie was like watching one long Abercrombie & Fitch ad. I assume he's referring to the "sculptured beauty" of the Cullen family.

It will be quite interesting to see if the books will become individual movies. Looking forward to talking to you about the movie,
Jill

PS How much of the last book do you have left??

Angie said...

The movie was kind of like an Abercrombie and Fitch add now that I think about it. I have 100 pages left in the last book. Right now there are a lot of vampires at the Cullens waiting for the Volturi to arrive.