Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hee-Hee-Hoo made us Ha-Ha


Saturday was a busy day, at least busy by my standards. For almost two weeks now I haven't done much outside of the house. I have done a lot of eating, sleeping, and TV watching. Saturday involved venturing outside to Abbott Northwestern Hospital for a birthing and parenting class.

We were the first to arrive at the class. We weren't sure about parking and finding the education building so we gave ourselves some extra time. It was nice to arrive early as we could pick our seats. Not knowing what to expect, we got comfortable (in not so comfy chairs) and watched as the couples arrived. We were probably one of 20-25 couples. It was a large enough group that it felt like a conference.

Charlie and I participated in a variety of activities - breathing, relaxation techniques, finding comfortable birthing positions (difficult to do when you really don't know what to expect besides pain), touring the hospital, talking with a pediatrician, and of course viewing the birthing videos. The shock and awe factor was manageable but I feel much more confident now knowing why women usually don't have multiple digit births (unless you are the Duggars). Seriously what is Mrs. Duggar thinking?!!!

Here are some of the main points I took away from Saturday (or should I say are still ingrained in my memory).
  • Singleton pregnancies have such cute little bellies. Seriously I was HUGE by comparison.
  • I am definitely a Hoo-Hoo breather rather than a Hee-Hee-er.
  • I have never heard the "v-word" so many times in one day.
  • Apparently shirts are optional at the hospital and pants are a definite no-no. Honestly the women in the video just wore bras - no gowns.
  • I just want to see the babies - NOTHING else please. I am at peace with anything below the belly button is for the doctors' and nurses' viewing.
  • After seeing the videos, is there some other way the babies can enter this world?
  • I have never seen Maxi-pads so ginormous!
As you can see I still have some maturing to do but it will all work out. At one point I got worked up going to the doctor for my yearly physical. Today a physical seems like a piece of cake, a walk in the park - you get the idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's startling what suddenly seems normal and usual after experiencing pregnancy and birth. At least you're still planning on going through with it, right? :o)

Anonymous said...

You totally crack me up! What a crazy day. So much to learn, isn't there?!