Well we finally finished our big landscaping project after two long days. Mom came to our house on Wednesday and helped me pick out plants at Bachman's and finalize our original landscape plan. While at Bachman's Mom and I picked out a potted plant, two large pots, and some colorful annuals for our front step. We planted those on Wednesday and also dug up all the extra plants that were around our front step. Believe it or not, there were bunches of hostas under the irises and vines.

On Thursday, I got up when Charlie left for work and began working on the side of our house. It was loaded with very rooty plants (I don't think rooty is a word). I think they are called Lily of the Valley. I dug up all of those and lined the side of the house with garden fabric so those crazy rooty plants won't come back again.
On Friday, I moved the hostas from the front of the house to the side. There are now 6 hostas on the side of the house and 6 hostas on the side of the garage. I then put cedar bark around all the hostas. Then I dug up the Bleeding Hearts under the picture window, edged part of that area and laid down some bark there as well.
On Friday, I moved the hostas from the front of the house to the side. There are now 6 hostas on the side of the house and 6 hostas on the side of the garage. I then put cedar bark around all the hostas. Then I dug up the Bleeding Hearts under the picture window, edged part of that area and laid down some bark there as well.

Then it was off for one last trip to Bachman's. I got 5 False Spireas or Astilbe, 3 Campanula Bell Flowers, and 2 Chicagoland Green Boxwoods. I returned home to finish the landscaping project and Charlie surprised me by coming home early from work! Together we finished planting the last 10 plants, watered, and cleaned up our big mess.



It is nice to be finished and it cleaned up the appearance of our house. No more random plants. No more sore muscles - why does landscaping and general house work use muscles I have never used before? Where have these muscles been all my life?

Now we just have to keep the new plants watered and alive. Oh, and get rid of this all-too-friendly chipmunk! This thing climbs up our gutter drain, into our egress window, and into our garage. It lives running between our house and our neighbors. Charlie and I both want to get rid of it but neither one of us wants to dispose of it. Stupid rodents!


2 comments:
Angie and Charlie,
The plants look great! I'm anxious to see them in person...can plants be seen in person??
Love, Jill/Mom
Angie and Charlie,
Your hard work looks beautiful! Doesn't it feel even more like your home now. There is such a rewarding feeling to adding your own touch (after the sore muscles have disappeared!)Now you can sit back water and enjoy!!
Love, Mom/Darla
Post a Comment