Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Holy Dirt Batman

Charlie and I had five yards of dirt delivered on Monday. We were planning on using the dirt to build up our backyard near our house. Our backyard slopes right toward our house and as many home owners know that causes water problems.

My uncle Dean provided us with an affordable dirt dealer/dirt deliverer/dirt guy. Dean had eight yards of dirt delivered to make a garden and fill some holes around their yard. So we thought we would start with five yards and order more if necessary.

Well it turns out five yards of dirt is a gargantuan amount of dirt! There isn't a lot of wiggle room for a dump truck to maneuver toward an ideal dirt dumping ground so we ended up with a huge pile of dirt right in front of our garage. Lacking in the brains department, I didn't take the car out of the garage beforehand either. Oh well it was motivation to move the dirt!

Needless to say in two days Charlie and I moved the entire load of dirt. The ground by our house is much more level and actually slopes away from the house. We had so much extra dirt after leveling our backyard that we were able to landscape around the side of our garage and fill some holes in the yard.

After two days of moving dirt, laying down mulch, edging the backyard, and planting grass seed we are both ready to enjoy the air conditioning!

Scroll over the pictures to read the captions.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the joys of homeownership! Nice job with all of the dirt. Now all you need is to squeeze in a retaining wall somewhere...

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! I still have no idea what a yard of dirt is, but I'm certain that I'll never order more than ONE! The yard looks fantastic. Nice work!

Anonymous said...

Looks good from here! Nice job!
Tanner

Anonymous said...

The joy on your face in the last slide says it all, Angie! What a lot of work on these hot days. The yard looks great, and somehow it has 7 more cubic yards of dirt that it started with!