The Olympics have begun and I have enjoyed watching it everyday since Friday evening. It is really nice to not have to work so I can enjoy the Olympics.
Even with doping, super swimsuits, and other negative influences, I love the Olympics, in particular the summer Olympics! Pathetic or not, I still shed a tear when I watch the opening ceremonies. I have never missed an opening ceremony since I was old enough to remember and the Beijing ceremony was spectacular! Someday I hope I can actually be at the Olympics (watching of course, not participating unless I become really good at kayaking around Big Dummy Lake in Wisconsin or find a strong passion for shooting guns).
In watching the Olympics, here are some highlight events and stories that I find interesting. First, Becky Hammon, a WNBA player for the San Antonio Stars, was not invited to play with the USA Olympic Basketball team. She has quite the resume but doesn't have the "big name" that Lisa Leslie, Tina Thompson, or the terrible, Kara Lawson have. Yet Becky was the MVP runner-up for the WNBA last year and they don't even have a spot for her on the national team! So Becky is playing for Russia in the Olympics. She plays for Russia during the WNBA offseason and was able to get citizenship last year. I am anxious to watch these two teams match-up.
More basketball news, Diana Taurasi, is a phenomenal basketball player. She just turned 26 years old and has already won a NCAA national championship, WNBA championship title, and the 2004 Olympic gold medal in basketball! WOW!
Now for swimming, if you missed the Olympic men's 4x100 meter freestyle relay last night - YOU MISSED OUT!! It was amazing, spectacular, unbelieveable, ...! It came down to France and USA in the last 25 meters. USA won by 8 hundredths of a second! When the video is available on youtube I will post it, as for now, here is Cullen Jones's recap of the competition.
As more stories unfold, I am sure I will post them. As for now, I am going to watch more of the Olympics.
2 comments:
Swimming and gymnastics were great tonight. I'm not a beach volleyball fan (that was earlier this evening). Those guys look like they should go back to Malibu.
Maybe you'll have to try for the winter Olympics. How about curling?
I'm a huge fan too, Aunchie, but am creeped out by the opening ceremonies! Couldn't figure out the order of countries in the procession to save my life! :-0 When does track & field start?!?!
Post a Comment