Sunday, April 6, 2008

Hamburger Rice Casserole

Wednesday night Charlie and I went to Cannon Falls to catch up with my grandparents. We hadn't seen them in awhile so it was fun to chat. Grandma and Grandpa made supper for us; a dinner from the old days - hamburger rice casserole! I am pretty sure it was Charlie's first time consuming this casserole but it was a staple food for me growing up on the farm.

Grandma and Grandpa prepared a feast - salad, bread, veggies, casserole, and ice cream for dessert. We chatted for awhile and got to know the life of the newly retired. Grandpa has been retired for awhile and is in a routine. His routine is now being altered as Grandma is easing into retirement. Even though she still works twice a week, the rest of the week is full time retirement.

It sounds like they are figuring out a wonderful retirement schedule. Grandpa has a routine 4 PM Diet Pepsi which he consumes after watching the 3 PM showing of Monk. The Price is Right with Drew Carey is a favorite TV show as well. My cousin, Tanner joins them after school too. So feeding and keeping up with him keeps them busy.

Beyond retirement, we talked about their road trip to Graceland with my Grandma's brother and wife. They toured Elvis's house, walked on Beale Street in Memphis, and explored Clinton's Presidential Library. They had great stories and enjoyed some time away.



It was a good visit and nice to see them. Thanks for the dinner Grandma and Grandpa!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Angie,
Sounds like a nice visit with your grandparents. You're probably right about Charlie's first time eating the casserole your grandma made. My mom wasn't much for rice, unless it was white Minute Rice (tastes like sawdust if you don't do anything to jazz it up). If we had casseroles, they were made with noodles instead of rice. So, I'm sure the reason I didn't make rice casseroles for CP, Elisabeth, and Annie was because my mom didn't make them.

When they were kids, I did make a delicious zucchini, cheese, and rice casserole, however. It was originally a Julia Child recipe, and took up 4 pages in one of her cookbooks. Lordy. I borrowed the cookbook from a friend, took three hours just to get the dang casserole ingredients ready to bake, and figured I'd never make it again. Instead, when I craved it the next time, I modified the recipe so it could be put together in a jiffy. Or a snap. Or downright quickly. Ha ha!

Anonymous said...

This is so funny! Looks very tasty. I have to say, the casserole my mom mentioned was TASTY... maybe you, the non-cooking wife, should give it a try! Or let Charlie to it...